Monday, May 12, 2008

From Argentina to Bolivia

Hello, everyone!

Another update from yours truly, though again, the computer is too slow to handle pictures. I promise I will upload as soon as the connection is faster! Regardless, I wanted to post an update...I have done a lot in the past week and a half!

I ended up staying in El Bolson at the wonderful hostel, El Pueblito, with my amazing friends, Marcelo, Anito, Julian, and Juan (all of whom help to run the hostel) until last Sunday (May 4th). I had a really hard time leaving! We had a traditional Argentine asado (bbq) on sat night, which was great fun. So many great memories from there.

I left the following afternoon and took a bus up to Mendoza (19 hrs). Once there, I found a nice hostel and relaxed for the day. The following day (tuesday), I went with 2 girls I had met to do a wine tour through the vinyards of Mendoza...on bikes! Yup, we went wine tasting while biking between vinyars. Brilliant idea, let me tell you. I definitely now have a soft spot for Malbek vino (a specialty from Mendoza). That very night, I again got on a bus to Salta, Arg. Another 18 hours later (and many hours of drinking mate and vino in the front of the bus with the drivers...), I arrived in Salta. I only stayed there an afternoon, however, and then got on ANOTHER bus (I'm sure you are sensing te theme of my recent travels) to get to the Arg-Bolivian border. I arrived there at 8am, crossed easily (yup, still legal down here), and got on yet another bus to get to Uyuni. This bus ride was a bit eventful, as the front windshield was cracked and proceeded to fall to pieces because the road was so bumpy. Luckily, the driver had apoxy and leather (what??!!) and was able to mend it together to get us to Uyuni...amazing.

That was Th night, and Fri am I left on a 3-day tour of the salt flats (biggest in the world), as well as some of the amazing land forms in the area. Although I am not cut out for 3 days of bumpy jeep travel, it was an incredible tour, filled with salt flats, active geysers, beautiful mountains, a red lake, flamingos, and crazy desert scenery. Quite remarkable.

Immediately upon returning from the tour, I hopped on yet ANOTHER overnight bus to get here, La Paz. Whew! And now, hopefully, my constant bus rides will lessen a bit...I have relaXxed this morning, and now am waiting for Seppe's bus from Cusco to arrive. From here, I think we will head toward the jungle, in search of some warmer weather:)

Things are continuing to be exciting and full of adventure on my travels. As much as I can, I reflect on what I am doing and learning, but at times it is challenging in the moment to do so...I am sure my time for reflection will more acutely come onece I return to the states - for now, I continue to be happily traveling and exploring.

I hope this finds all of you well!

Abrazos de Bolivia,

laurita

No comments: