Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A week in Taray

Hola amigos! I have changed locations for the time being. My Spanish school has a location outside of Cuzco that you can choose to study at for a week. It is in a tiny town called Taray, outside of Pisac (a larger, more well-known town). It is right in the heart of the Sacred Valley, just a bit south from Machu Piccu. We arrived on Sunday and will be here until Sat. My classes are in the afternoon (4-8), which means I get the whole morning to explore. Yesterday, I summited the peak that is just outside of Taray - more than 1000 meters of climbing in about 7 hours! It was one of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done and today my legs are barely working. But it was amazing. When I return to Cuzco I`ll upload pics to share.

I am loving being in the mountains. The Sacred Valley is breath-taking and filled with unbelievable Inca ruins everywhere. Today we will head to some local salt mines and Th to some old archeological ruins close by.

This experience continues to be incredibly rich. I am learning Spanish at a great pace and feel confident about using it more and more. The other travelers I have met are great, mostly from Europe, Canada, and Australia. Everyone seems to enjoy getting out and seeing and doing as much as possible, which is great for me. It is wonderful to be surrounded by people who are also thinking a lot and enjoy sharing their thoughts and reflections as we experience this country and culture.

I hope all of you are well in your corners of the world. Thank you for the messages...it is energizing to get little glimpses into your lives. It makes me feel not quite so far away. I do carry all of your energies with me, and for that I am incredibly thankful.

No comments: